Friday, September 4, 2009

Surgery Update

Wow-Hard to believe it is Friday already.  Surgery went well on Monday and I have been at home resting since then.  The medicine they gave me pretty much knocks me out so this is the first chance I have had to update my blog!  Once again Bryan has been great and has taken good care of me as well as everything that needs to be done around the house.  Dr Friesen removed 26 lymph nodes under my arm, removed a 1.5cm tumor in my left breast, and placed my port in for my chemo treatments.  I am still very sore and tired but doing better everyday.

I have had many calls and visits from friends that really care about me.  I had no idea some of my friends were such great cooks :).  Everyone is taking such great care of my family and making sure they are fed while I am recovering. Kudos to the Lasagna (Christy), Spaghetti (Cheridyth), and enchiladas (Lisa). I will definitely need to get these recipes and make it when I am up to it.  Guess box dinners wont cut it anymore!

Spent last weekend with some great friends (The Kelly's and the Bode's).  We had a bbq and they tried to keep my mind off of the surgery on Monday.  It was much appreciated.  I feel like I am jumping all over the place but my mind is running wild.  Went to the doctor for a follow up visit today.  Unfortuntely, the drain tube was not able to be removed so it looks like it will be with me until Tue or Wed.  The nurse did tell me I would still need several weeks to heal before the chemo starts.  Good news is she said it would work out to start as soon as we got back from Mexico (this was the trip for the kids during their fall break from school).  I did not think we would still get to go but the Doctor said I could still go and that it will be good to get away. Bad news is that the nurse reminded me of the hair loss and reality is starting to really settle in.  I did not handle that well at all today.  It is just hair right?  So why am I so freaked out by it?  My emotions are running all over the place and today has been an emotional one.

Last night Alex told me that he heard from a friend that I had Cancer.  I was so shocked and not ready to have that conversation at all.  Luckily Bryan was in the room with me and took over. We only told Alex I was sick because we were unsure how he would handle it all.  Bryan explained to him that I did have Cancer but I dont have it anymore.  He reassured Alex that they took it out.  He also told him I was getting better everyday.

more updates later....

3 comments:

  1. Hey girl! I'm so glad the recovery is going well so far. You are such a strong person!

    Yes, it is just hair and it will come back! You will look just as cute without it!

    Hugs - Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just hair... the person that is underneath is where the true beauty lies...

    ReplyDelete