Thursday, September 24, 2009

Human Pin Cushion

Tuesday I had a Cat Scan as well as finally clearing the port.  It was my first introduction to my new life at the Oncology Clinic or "the Chemo Store" as we refer to it now.  It was very evident that I was the new girl since I was the only one with hair and I felt as if  all eyes were on me.  I can not get my mind off of the little 6yr old boy that walked in holding his teddy bear in one hand and his moms hand in the other.  That could have been my daughter and it scared me. Wednesday I went to see my surgeon for my final follow up. He said everything looked good and he does not need to see me again for another year.

Today I went to Mercy Hospital and had a Muga Scan - Multiple Uptake Gated Acquisition Scan. It took them 5 sticks to get the IV started just to get to the scan.  The scan took pictures of my heart while it was pumping to see how well my heart pumps the blood now.   They are trying to ensure that I can handle the chemo on the first round because one of the drugs they are giving me (Adriamycin) is a very thick and powerful toxin that is often called "The Red Devil".  Sounds nice, huh?  I have so much to look forward to in the next 6 months that I can hardly stand it.

1 comment:

  1. You have a phone, I have a phone... you know the numbers, I am at home now that the boys are in school and you KNOW I need to feel useful. PLEASE, my dear, use me. God places all types of things in our path for a reason, I placed my children in school for a reason... now it's up to you to use me... Love you! YOU CAN DO THIS!

    ReplyDelete