Friday, September 11, 2009

Surgeon Update

Went to see Dr. Friesen and he was very pleased with how things were going and how I was healing.  I don't have to go back to see him until the 23rd. Luckily, he was not mad at me for removing the drain tube early.  Since Bryan was traveling with work and I was not able to drive, my friend Tina Beyer took me and helped take notes and ask questions. Dr Friesen confirmed the pathology report with what he had already told me over the phone. He also told me that Breast Cancer in young women is the most aggressive kind of cancer. Although he is confident he did remove what was there and enough margin around it, he said there is no guarantee that it would not come back.  I like the fact that he is so upfront and honest with me yet encouraging at the same time. Because he removed 26 lymph nodes, I have to be very careful on the left side to avoid lymphodema. Alot of women that have breast cancer tend to get this if they have had alot of lymph nodes removed.  I have to get fitted for a pressure sleeve next week to reduce swelling if it occurs.

I officially have my first appt with the oncologist on Sept 21st.  We will talk about my plan of action to kill this toxin that invaded me as well as flush the port that was put in during surgery. I am also scheduled next week to get all the flu shots available.  I am considered high risk now so I qualify for the "swine Flu" shot and the other flu shots before anyone else.  

The meds that I am on are still making me tired.  I have no energy and all I want to do is lay in bed.  I get worn out just from going to the dr.  I remember the good old days when I used to pull all nighters or at least stay up past 9:00.  I am starting to get frustrated because I cant do all the things I used to do or do them as fast as I normally would.  If I have learned anything from this it is that I have to slow down.....that is going to be a work in progress.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds good so far. Rest when you need to rest. It helps you heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning patience and learning to just slow down and LISTEN-- to my body, my family, my friends, my heart-- it's hard, but so worth it. You can do it and come through with flying colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just hang in there girl! Rest as you can and let people help you like you have been! I'm so glad you like your surgeon! That is awesome!

    We will come by one day this week!

    Hugs- Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amazingly STRONG woman! I admire your strength and courage!

    ReplyDelete