Friday, October 30, 2009

Still Recovering

Well, seems odd to me that I am still a little under the weather with the first treatment. I know they told me the first one would be the worst but since I handled it so well at the beginning, I thought it would not last so long. Unfortunately I am still experiencing the side effects and struggle with food since the side effects seem to change constantly. I now have the mouth sores as well as night sweats and heat flashes and still alternate between the metal taste in my mouth. Still very fatigued but realized that all the meds I get for the side effects-cause drowsiness. My immune system is very low which is why the nurse said I got the mouth sores so early. Apparently my body was fighting an infection before I started the chemo and my white blood counts were already low. I have been hibernating in the house for a week to ensure that I do not catch anything from getting out in the stores. My nurse reassured me that all of this is normal and to expect to be "off" until day 10 due to the adriamycin ( the red devil). So I should be close to normal by Monday or Tuesday so I can start all over again on Thursday. She said this is the worst of it and when I start my weekly treatments on Taxol, it will be easier. I hope she is right. I hate asking for help.

My clinical Trial nurse called yesterday to check on me to see if I am getting any of the additional side effects from the clinical Study I am doing. Aside from all the other treatments, I am also getting Avastin every 3 weeks for a year. It is currently in a clinical study (with few side effects) to see if it reduces existing tumors. For those of us that are triple negative and have already had the tumors removed, they are testing it to see if it helps minimize the odds of any cancer cells returning after the treatments are done. At this point, I will do anything that could ensure I never have to go through this again.

Mom left yesterday and I was so glad that Bryan was able to make it home with all of the weather delays. Alex is feeling better and back to normal and Kaitlyn woke up at 5:oo this morning with a cough and not feeling well so I have a new "bed buddy" today. Hope she feels better because she is so excited to go trick or treating tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a safe and Happy Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment