Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Test Results Are In

Well, definitely not the results I was hoping for. I found out today that I did test positive for the Cancer Gene BRCA1. A mutation or alteration in the BRCA1 causes most cases of hereditary breast and ovarian cancer (HBOC). HBOC syndrome increases the risk of various cancers (and recurrences) but primarily attack breast and ovarian. The kids also have a 50% chance that I have passed it down to them. My next step is to consider my options of a mastectomy as well as a hysterectomy since the risks of recurrence now are very high. Not sure I am willing to do nothing and risk the cancer coming back with a vengance. Looks like I won't be able to "save the Ta-Ta's" after all. So much to think about and so many other unanswered questions. Unfortunately, I was too upset at the Dr's office to think of the questions that I now have.

Labwork today was really good. Overall, the best it has been since I started the chemo. Got the thumbs up to start round 3 tomorrow. Few minor tweaks again and hoping the nausea won't be as bad this time. Dr. Rosenfeld told me that I am doing the hardest regimen of chemo that there is and he is very pleased at how my body is tolerating it all. Not sure I agree with him but I guess other people don't do so well. I am hoping to be up and recovered by Thanksgiving because my entire family is coming into town.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that you won't be able to "Save the Ta Ta's" but as long as you can save your life it will be worth losing them ( plus you can get fake ones later on ) !!!! Hysterectomy - yes - you know I had one last year and I love not having to deal with that every month anymore !! Sounds like you are staying strong and have lots of support ( so glad since I can't be part of that support and really want to be ) !!! I cry for what you are having to go through and pray for you at least once a day !!!Please just remember; I might be far away but I LOVE and MISS YOU !!!! Renae

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that you are going through this hell. Glad you are tolerating the treatment so well! You are one strong woman! Thinking of you and praying for you daily!

    ReplyDelete