Monday, August 24, 2009

Learning to cope

Who would have thought that a little pain in my arm would change my life forever.  I find myself trying to remember what life was like before I was diagnosed.  It seems like I have been through a lifetime in just a few short weeks and my emotions are at an all time high.  I am starting this blog to keep friends and family informed on my journey (good or bad).  My intention is to update as well as educate and hope I can help others along the way.   As scared as I am for what is about to come, I know I have to be strong for my kids.  They don't understand why mommy is sick.  It breaks my heart to know that so many changes are about to happen and that their stability has been taken from them.  Little do they know that their lives are also about to change.

After coming back from a 2 week trip in Hawaii, I thought I pulled a muscle from the luggage and had a hard time readjusting back from the 5 hr time change.  I walked into the Dr.'s office on July 29th as a healthy 38 yr old and would walk out out of the surgery center on Aug 13th as a Cancer Patient-How did that happen?  Why me?  I still remember the call from my surgeon the following Monday when he told me that the abnormal lymph node that I thought was a pulled muscle was cancer and that there was a primary source and they needed to find.  What I did not know until the next day was that they suspected Ductal Carcinoma Stage 3 and that I probably carried this unknown burden for 7-8 yrs. I was sent for a PET scan and a Breast MRI which confirmed all of my fears. I immediately had another ultrasound and a biopsy in the office to ensure it was the primary source.  Luckily everything else came back normal and it was an isolated mass.   Guess I should feel lucky but right now I don't.  

My next surgery  is scheduled for Aug 31st.  They will remove the remainder of the infected lymph nodes as well as doing a lumpectomy in my left breast.  They are also going to place the port in for the chemo treatments that will begin after I recover from the surgery.  My surgeon is confident but is also realistic.  The chemo will make me very sick and hair loss is inevitable. 

Continue to check the site for updates on surgeries, daily journals, and random thoughts. Thanks to all my friends and family for all the love and support that has been shown to me and my family over the past few weeks.  


8 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with you, and your family.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn, I'm so sorry! Wow, what a big change. You sound like you have a good attitude, and I understand that's very important. My mom is a cancer survivor, having undergone treatment for colorectal cancer in 2002 (if I recall correctly). I know she has passed the 5 year mark now.

    I'm here at Erik's suggestion. Welcome to blogging. I hope it's a positive experience for you.

    I'll be thinking of you on the 31st as you undergo surgery again. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl... I've been praying my little heart out for you, Bryan and the kids that you find comfort and peace in the midst of all this craziness!

    You are strong and will beat this! I love you!!!!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm praying for you constantly! You'll do amazing... even though I know it's going to be so difficult. I don't know why God has given you so many trials, I only know he'll be with you through them and he has given you and will continue to give you what you need to get through them. When the days are the hardest... look up. I love you! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found this as an outlet! We'll keep praying for you. You'll beat this! Love you!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great way to share without repeating about a hundred times. You know you are loved and are having lots and lots of prayers said for you and your family. I'm glad you found an outlet and are sounding so positive ( has a lot to do with recovery; a positive attitude ). You know I will be checking this almost everyday; love and miss you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robyn - I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers! You are a strong lady - and have a great support system.
    You'll beat this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're in my heart and thoughts...

    skg

    ReplyDelete